Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Disappearing By Monica Woods


    This is a story about a woman who is tired of being called fat. She has an unsupportive husband who constantly keeps on calling her names. And because of this she decides to start taking swimming lessons. At first she kind of hates the water and gives up but then as she sees that her husband is still calling her names she decides to resume with the swimming lessons. After this she starts going to swim more often; even on weekends and holidays. She kind of gets addicted to being under the water. Then her friend Lettie sees this and tells her that she's overdoing it but her response is that she is not swimming because she wants to loose weight. She says that she likes to swim because she feels "transparent and invisible." In the end she loses a lot of weight but she is still continuing to swim and says that she will continue until her "..feet leave the board."
     I chose this story because it talks a lot about self image. In here the lady never seemed to be satisfied with her self image. She did almost everything to "disappear" because in my opinion she had the image of being fat in her mind all of the time. She just wanted to be invisible to others now. What I learned from this is to watch my mouth more. I say this because most of the time I also say these kind of things to some of my relatives. Even though I'm playing around all of the time, I don't know how they might really feel towards my comments. But most importantly I don't know how they might react to my comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment